Town of Osgood Gas Department
1820 N. Co. Rd. 300 N
Osgood IN 47037
24-hour Dispatch #: 812-689-0178
Email: Osgood Gas Utility
Gas Pipeline Safety
Underground natural gas pipelines run along public and private property, serving our homes, businesses and public places. Prevent damage to underground pipelines and know what to do if damage occurs.
Call Indiana Underground Plant Protection Service
To protect pipelines and other underground facilities from accidental damage, call 1-800-382-5544 a minimum of TWO business days before digging. IUPPS Hotline will notify Osgood Gas Utility and other utilities to mark their underground facilities at no charge to you.
- You'll know where it is safe to dig.
- You'll avoid hefty fines for causing accidental damage because of digging without calling ahead.
- It's the law.
Accidental damage during excavation is the greatest risk to underground natural gas pipelines. Even minor damage can cause a leak or failure.
Recognizing a Gas Leak
If you notice any of these, call Osgood's Gas Utility emergency phone number: 689-4324 or the Gas Utility Office during regular business hours at 689-3839.
- Distinctive, harmless chemical odor Osgood gas utilities adds to natural gas.
- Dead or dying vegetation for no apparent reason.
- White cloud, mist, fog, bubbles in standing water or blowing dust.
- Unusual noise such as roaring, hissing or whistling.
Learn more about Gas Safety.
Respwct Right of Way
The area along each side of the pipeline is called the right-of-way. The owner of the underground facilities has the right to restrict certain activities (even on private property). Right-of-way locations are usually on maps filed with local municipalities. The IUPPS Hotline at 1-800-382-5544 can provide these details.
Markers are sometimes used to indicate the approximate location of underground pipelines. Pipeline markers display:
- Approximate location of pipelines.
- Material transported in the line
- Name of pipeline operator
- Operator telephone number in case of an emergency
Markers cannot be relied on for exactness. Because many lines are not marked, it is critical that you contact: 1-800-382-5544 prior to any excavation
Osgood Gas Utilities Committment
We support safety education seminars for contractors, excavators and emergency responders.
Osgood Gas Utility promotes public pipeline safety through:
- Indiana Utility Regulatory Commission.
- Support of safety education seminars for contractors, excavators and emergency responders.
- Membership in Indiana Holey Moley Hotline.
- Design and construction practices.
- Workforce qualifications.
- Safety practices and government oversight.
- Pipeline markers and facility mapping.
- Public education programs.
Osgood Gas Utilities work together and maintains a liaison with emergency responders and state and local agencies to prevent and prepare for emergencies.
As new technologies are developed in pipeline design, construction, inspections and operations, we will continue to invest in pipeline integrity programs that will allow for the safe and secure delivery of natural gas.
For additional information in regards to gas safety contact our office at: 1-812-689-3839
|Osgood Town Hall||Osgood Street Utilities||Osgood Water Plant||Ripley Co. Sheriff|
|Monday - Friday||Monday - Friday||24/7/365||24/7/365|
|8:30 am - 12:00 pm||7:30 am - 11:30 am||812-689-4324||Emergencies - 911|
|1:00 pm - 4:00 pm||12:00 pm - 4:00 pm||Non Emergencies:|
|After 4 PM Leave Message||After 4 PM Leave Message||Street Department will be Dispatched Out|
Osgood Utilities can now be reached 24-7-365, after hours and weekends for gas leaks, water leaks, sewer backups, etc. Simply call 812-689-0178 for a live dispatcher to get the service you need.